Apr 18, 2009

Marudamalai


Photo courtesy : http://wikimedia.org
Marudamalai temple
Marudamalai is in the North west part of Coimbatore.Marudamalai stands at 500ft high on the Western Ghats.On this small hill is a temple of "Arulmigu Subramanyaswamy" which belongs to the 12th century.The deity is more commonly called "Lord Muruga"(a Hindu God).The worship of Lord Muruga,in South India and other parts of Asia, goes back to the pre-Christian era and forms an important facet in the religious life of Hindus. Apart from the main God Lord Muruga,the "Pambatti Siddhar Cave" is visted by the tourist and natives of Coimbatore.History says that the Siddhar meditated in the cave and attained salvation here.

From left to right Pradheep,me,inlaws,Nithya,Vasanth,Nithya's cousin & Nithya's parents at Marudamalai

Marudamalai stands very close to my heart as I used to visit the temple with my famliy and more often with my friends.The view from the hill top is the Coimbatore city.There is a walkway,consisting of stairs to the hill top.I love walking to the temple.I remember frequenting the temple with my granny,and also remember she used to buy me all junk jewellery and "yelathavadai" from the small shops beside the temple. Good old days! Miss them now!

No comments:

Post a Comment